School for Autism
The School for Autism is a Licensed Private Academic School that provides special education to children with Autism Spectrum Disorder. Students are grouped by age and ability level. Each classroom is assigned a special education teacher, a behavioral support specialist, and several aides to support learning. In addition, a family liaison is assigned to each student to work closely with families to assist with carry-over of skills to the home setting as well as to access needed services.
We provide an individualized, strengths-based approach to academic and behavioral growth. Our evidence-based strategies help to aid students’ academic and social growth, while increasing their ability to create long lasting relationships with peers and adults. We also teach life skills so that each child can become an independent member of their community. This includes helping our students to get jobs and move into adulthood.
Our program help students enhance their academic functioning levels, learn appropriate replacement behaviors, develop coping skills, as well as build and maintain positive relationships with peers and trusted adults so that each child can be successful in their homes and communities.
Program components include:
- Direct instruction provided by special education teachers, and speech and occupational therapists in the areas of academics, social skills, communication, and functional skills
- School-counseling in stress management and anger replacement strategies
- Positive behavior support plans developed using functional behavior assessments (FBA’s)
- Structured teaching and organizational strategies from TEACCH
- Discrete trials (for students who require this type of intervention)
- Pre-vocational skill development (horticulture, retail, culinary, office support, and housekeeping)
- Community-based learning
- Experiential education
- Family-focused services
- Principles of applied behavior analysis (ABA)
- Reinforcement programs tailor-made to the students’ special interests
- Visual support strategies including PECS and transition schedules
- Trained, experienced staff
- Video modeling, social stories. and social scripts
- Sensory-friendly classrooms and a state-of-the-art sensory room
Who Do We Serve?
Children and teens from kindergarten to age 21 who have autism spectrum disorders and who have difficulty with academics, language, social skills, and behavior.
For more information about School for Autism, please call our Intake Coordinator at (412) 322-0140. For detailed location information including contact numbers and directions, please click here to view our locations directory and map.